Through its vast collection and the services it provides, our library aims to support teaching/instruction and research activities at our university, to meet students' and faculty members' needs for information in their academic programs and scientific research, and to contribute to improved access to information for the whole EMU community and the larger public.
Our library endeavors to constantly improve its performance as an active supporter and provider for the university's effective, innovative, and student-centered approach to education, and as an indispensable element in the academic process based on this approach. In keeping with its significant role in both the qualitative and quantitative aspects of scientific research, our library strives to create all the necessary facilities and opportunities for all students and members of academic staff, in the process of conducting research and accessing information. Preparing students not only for their profession, but also for life is part of the university's objectives. Within this framework, we, as the library, do our utmost in ensuring that our students can locate all types of data in a systematic environment, in order to contribute to the education of sensitive young people who have learned how to learn and are keen to research and are capable of generating knowledge based on acquired knowledge.
Consistent with its conviction that scientific development is a universal gain, our library actively collaborates with institutions of information sources, and shares its own resources with the world insofar as circumstances allow. Cooperation makes it possible to promote our university's publications throughout the rest of the world while simultaneously making it easier to obtain information available from other sources.
With a view to increase information literacy and to develop the habit of lifelong learning in our society, our collection is available not only to the EMU community, but also to the larger public.
Our library also embraces the principle of 'aiming for the peak of quality' and our overall objective is to become one of the best sources of information in the country and the region.
- Has a unique function in the attainment of the university's teaching/instruction objectives. The library therefore views continuous development as an absolute necessity.
- Considers students and faculty at the university as its main audience.
- Expands its collection based on the resource requirements created by the specific needs for knowledge at the university.
- Encourages scientific research and information literacy at the university and provides support for activities in these areas.
- Fulfils an important function through compiling EMU publications, offering this archive to its readers, and promoting it worldwide.
- Advocates and practices professional standardization; structures itself in accordance with professional standards as a university library; does not develop or use systems that do not conform to professional standards; uses and improves existing systems.
- In order to further its aims, researches information technologies, applies novel technologies in the services it offers, and makes them available to its readers.
- Is open to change and innovation.
- Collaborates with other libraries both domestically and internationally and promotes cooperation.
- Advocates and practices the standardization of services and the sharing of information under the umbrella of consortia.
- Is respectful of its readers; takes particular care in being fair in the implementation of rules and regulations, and considers everyone equal in this respect; has the initiative and flexibility necessary to offer the best possible services to its readers while observing the applicable rules and regulations.
- Provides support to social development through its collection, services offered, and accumulated professional know-how.
- Advocates lifelong learning for the improvement of society's cultural and intellectual wealth, and its approach to society's information requirements is informed by this belief; offers services of access to information to the whole of society and as large an audience as possible.
- Does not discriminate among users in terms of language, religion, race, sect, political views, and/or gender.
- Believes in the freedom to learn and to generate ideas and defends these rights.
Address: Tel: +90 392 630 1322
Eastern Mediterranean University Fax: +90 392 3651077
Özay Oral Library E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gazimağusa, North Cyprus Web: http://library.emu.edu.tr
(via Mersin 10, Turkey)